Friday, May 25, 2007

A Day trip to Noccalula

My first Friday off day in quite a while (Outage for Hatch, then an outage for Farley), so we were quite excited to get away for a while. Or maybe it was just me, and we had also just purchased our first mini-van. We are so cool. We bought a Honda Odyssey from Jasper where we found all sorts of deals and had to buy.
So our first test drive was to go to Noccalulu Falls in Gadsden, AL. I had been there once as a kid, but Magan had never been. The drive was nice, with Sam now doing several screaming episodes (mostly just playing, but it was rather annoying at times). And Magan and I both can’t seem to stop laughing at his crazy personality, and it great aim as he frequently throws his juice cup at the front console.
But we arrived, and let the kids sleep as we ate some fast-food. We then went into the park and enjoyed seeing a deer up close and some ducks and turkeys. We then got on the train for a ride around the park.
Davis had a blast, we don’t know if it was the train whistle or the wind blowing in his face, but he was smiling the whole time. He is really sweet and cute and I can’t wait to get to know him like we know little Sam. Sam is at a stage where he is scared of a lot of things, and the train was one of them.
But after the train we made our way towards the falls, enjoying the covered bridge, the “fat-man’s squeeze”, and Sam and I climbing out of the many rock formations.
Sam and I then took the stairs and trail to the bottom of the falls, where we found a nice place to sit at the water. We had a friend duck waddle near us and sleep on a neighboring rock. I sat with Sam enjoying the moment, remembering crossing these same rocks with my Dad. I love being a dad, I love seeing Sam smile up at me. He is my little friend that makes me so happy. I know their have been so many moments that I have had with just little Sam in my lap, but this is another one that almost makes me tear up. We threw some rocks in the water, and talked to the duck for awhile. Nothing special about this time we had together, but it was definitely one of those moments you could stop time forever and enjoy.
But…we had to make the trip back up, and after several breaks for an older out of shape Scott, I made it back. And Magan caught that on video for all who would like to watch. I was sincerely out of breath, and my legs were shaky. Oh well, that beautiful lady at the top still loved me, and Davis was happy to see us back.
A trip to the playground, a trip to the falls to feed the ducks, and a rest in the middle of the park on a swing was all we needed before we left. Magan and I began reminiscing of our honeymoon in Bellingrath on a similar swing. I love her so much, and our two boys are so great. We left the park and went to Top O’ the River before going home. The food was good; just don’t ever eat any pickled onions…as Sam would say Shooo.

No comments: