Friday, October 7, 2011

Working with Dave

Magan had her very first mini-sessions a few weeks back with her photography, and I had the task of cleaning up the hill on our yard (pulling weeds, killing ants, mowing the grass, etc…). It was on my Friday off, so Sam was in school, and Davis decided that he would put on his work boots and Go Diego workgloves to help Dad out.

I began pulling the weeds and throwing them in large piles to the side for Davis to pick up. And Davis was great with this task for about 3 seconds, before he informed me that it was hard for him to stand on the hill, and that he needed to be at the bottom to pick up weeds. So he went to the bottom and I started throwing the weeds that way.

Davis then starting talking and I don’t even know what he was talking about, only that he did not shut up for a second. I think he was telling me all about how much he likes working and telling me about his wheelbarrow and how it worked and …. “Davis, would you at least work a little bit and put some weeds in that wheelbarrow instead of just talking about it” I finally said, slightly aggravated because I get really into whatever task I am working on. He looked a little sad, so I continued “just pick up some weeds and we can keep talking”. He smiled and picked up one weed, put it in the wheelbarrow, then started talking again, apparently thinking that was enough work…Oh well.

A little later while I was still picking up weeds and he was standing at the bottom talking while he “worked”, he started asking me about a girl that he got to play with one time. She is the little girl of a friend of mine from work, and they have played together a couple of times. He explained to me that she was kinda shy (She only speaks Polish, so she couldn’t understand Sam and Davis when they came over), and that he wanted to have another “playdate” with her because he might “marry that girl”. He then told me that he thought she liked him. I stopped working and looked at him like he was crazy, then through some more Davis words of wisdom in “Dad, sometimes you just got to pull weeds for your wife”. Dear me, that kid kills me.

After pulling all of the weeds and finally getting Davis to help a bit, we got some weedkiller out and were spraying around in different areas. I asked him if he needed me to spray some on him cause he was growing like a weed. “NO Dad, If I was a weed, you would have to kill me” he explained.

Finally with all of the work complete, he looked up at me and asked if he could ride his monster truck. I told him “sure”, and went to get the battery that was charging. He helped me lift the “hood”, and I told him to watch his fingers or this heavy battery would chop his fingers off. “If it chopped my fingers off, I couldn’t be a boy scout” he told me raising his two fingers in a scout sign. I laughed at my fun work day with Davis as he rode out into the backyard, radio blasting, in his Pink Power Wheels Jeep.

No comments: