Thursday, June 19, 2008

Freezing Time



Getting them to look at the camera is a task that is not easily accomplished. If you know me, you know how much I love to take pictures. I always have a camera with me. Pictures are a way to freeze time and remember each little thing that happens in our life. A lot of people have no trouble recalling and remembering everything. I on the other hand do not, if I don't write it down I forget the details.
Father's Day just passed by and my dad passed away, as most of you know, about 4 years ago. I cherish every picture that I have of him and am trying to hold on to the memory of what his hug felt like, how he smiled when he called me sugar foot and his baby girl, his laughter and his booming deep voice on the back row at church singing and praising God. He had a smile that was so easy and natural it was hard not to smile back. His hands were covered in scars and "as a strong as a pine knot" is how he would describe them. I miss the sound of him yodeling as he walked through the house to get his popcorn and vanilla ice cream.
When I look at my boys, I know that they will not get the chance to feel his hugs or hear him laugh, but they can see his smile any time they want because we have pictures.
Love your family as much as you can and try to remember every detail about them. Be with them every chance you get and enjoy just being together.
Mom and Dad Christmas 2002

Dad with my nephew Sylus

1 comment:

Cude said...

It's Leslie--I am sitting here crying--Thank you for reminding me to love everyday no matter how messy, dull, or whiney it is! And to remember them, I think this is a great way to remember them.