Saturday, April 6, 2013

Scout Campout at Tannehill State Park

Another campout, and this time it was only for one night, so no problems right...unless you forget pillows and  blankets.  Arrghh... Sam and Davis love camping out, and I enjoy taking them.  They are troopers, and we are getting used to coming home with a tick or two.  

We began our hike picking up trash on a nearby trail.  It is really funny how excited these guys get when they see trash.  When there is some competition, trash collecting is fun!  We also took some time up on the top of the ridge to sit, be quiet, and listen to God.  It was a good time of quiet and I think the boys did really well just listening to the sounds of the beautiful creation around us.  Tannehill State Park is a really nice place, and it was a very pretty area.  




After some hot dogs for supper, we went on a night hike...which was pretty fun, but difficult as there were many puddles all around us, and hard to find the right spot to not get too muddy.  Sam just walked off and left me and Davis most of the time...He's not scared of too much.  The hike was fun but it was also 3.5 miles, and did I mention I was walking with drama boy Dave.  yeah, I started getting informed about his knees and back at about mile 1.5.  But we made it and had a good time.  Even visited a civil war era graveyard on the night tour.  Spooky.

The night was rather miserable for me as I bought the boys some pillows from the dollar general, but thought I could tough it out.  Plus, it was a lot colder than I was thinking it would be, so hard to sleep.  Wake up every hour thinking it was morning, only to realize I had more cold to suffer through.  Plus a train that was non-existent during the day, yet sounded often at night.  Sam just snored through it all...I think the scouts is a good fit for him.

The next morning we had a fun scavenger hunt for clues all over the camping area.  Then it was time for pancakes.  In talking with the boys later about our breakfast, I said "I had two pancakes with syrup, then two pancakes without syrup"...Sam matched me and said "I also had two pancakes with syrup, and two pancakes without syrup".  Davis then said "Well I had two pancakes with syrup, then I had two MORE pancakes with syrup".





No comments: