Friday, April 19, 2013

The Grand Ole Opry (12 Year Wedding Anniversary)


So it took us 12 years, but I finally got to take my lovely bride to the Opryland Hotel for an anniversary.  We actually visited the hotel in our first year of marriage and later that night stayed in a scary part of Nashville that I had booked online...and wished that one day we would be able to stay at the Opryland Hotel.  So here we are and we had an atrium view of the Garden Conservatory.  The fountains and gardens were great, and we give it two thumbs up.  We quickly got ready for our fun night at the Grand Ole Opry, but first stopping by Macaroni Grill where Magan and I are both in love with the fresh mozzarella.     





I had a surprise for Magan, that I had gotten 4th row seats at the Opry.  And these seats were amazing.  10 steps to the stage to take any closeup pictures, but close enough to not have to move either.  We were so close that during one pause in the show, Vince Gill waved at Magan.  And Darius Rucker smiled at us as he was singing.  Maybe it was just the fact that we were the only couple under 50 in a sold out crowd.  But I still don't think it appropriate for Vince to send his phone number out with an assistant to Magan later.  Not cool Vince...not cool.  




Minnie Pearl addressing the Opry crowd (How-DEEEEEE)
Maggie Rose "I ain't your Mama"

Bobby Osbourne and the Rocky Top Express.  Can you guess what their signature song was?  :)  Apparently the bassist for Diamond Rio was a nephew of Bobby Osbourne, so they had some fun with each other.



Charlie Pride
Elizabeth Cook
And lots of pictures of Vince and Darius Rucker (Wagon Wheel, It won't be like this for long, ??that other country hit he has)


Another fun surprise that we were not aware of was that they were filming scenes from an upcoming "Nashville" show.  Deacon and Scarlet were there from the show, but as I don't know much about the show, I will just assume they are both pretty major characters on the show.  Scarlet (played by Clara Barton) was performing for her first time in character on the Opry, so the director told us to clap and give a standing ovation if we could, and we did.  So maybe Magan and I will be on TV applauding our favorite character from the show...I guess.







Like I guess many TV shows, one take was not enough, so after the opry was over, they brought Clara Barton out for one more take.  The picture below shows the cameramen that were moving around her strategically for the shots for the show.



And after the show we met with Maggie Rose.  She is a cutie!  And we are so old, we told her that we were from Birmingham, and she told us that her band would be playing at the "Tin Roof" soon.  Magan acted cool like she knew the place.  "yeah, I know that place".  It was so funny, because I was thinking that 23 year old Maggie just doesn't know that the Grand Ole Opry is where Magan and I go to be cool.










So note to future Sam, Davis, and Belle...After 12 years, it's great to get a night away every once and awhile to be with your best friend.  And MaMag and Pop will gladly watch the kids for you, as Nanny,Granny and Granddaddy did for us.  

No comments: