Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Let it Snow...the Snowpocalypse of 2014

Snowmegeddon in Alabama.  Two inches of the Devils dandruff took this town and state out o business.  I was at work, and the boys at school, when we started hearing the warnings that the snow was coming.  And at work I went out to watch it fall, and thought even then that WOW, that is sticking already.  Well, then schools were going to let out early...then buses were not going home...then I was going to leave to pick up the kids, and by that time 280 and all of birmingham was a traffic mess.  

Magan called in a panic, and our neighbor Flynn made an attempt to get the boys, but no luck.  We all spent the night apart.  The boys spent the night at the new Forest oaks Elementary.  I spent the night at my work (with a pillow purchased from Target).  The next day came and roads were still iced over.  Sam's teacher Mrs. Meeks and her husband were able to get the boys home, and I knew I wasn't staying in Inverness another night.

So luckily I had packed to work out the previous morning, so I had all my stuff for a shower that morning.  Then after I decided to make the 15 mile hike back home, I found that I had my sweatpants that I could wear under my pants, I had my tennis shoes for better grip, and after checking through my car I found a Spiderman ski mask that one of the boys had left.  

So I got a ride from a guy at work to the Kohls up the road, then hitched with another guy down to 119, another ride from a guy took me over double oak mountain but left me back out in the cold at Hwy 41, then like someone looking out for me as I walked down the median of Hwy 280, I saw a buddy of mine (Brandon Rawls) from church.  I waved at him and he looked at me like I was crazy.  Then I remembered I was still wearing the spiderman ski mask.  Luckily he stopped after I removed it quickly.  And brandon gave me a ride all the way back to about 2 miles from the house, where he was trying to make it up a hill, and slid back down spinning a 180 past two cars...and coming to a rest on the shoulder of the road.  So out we got and started walking where another ride was found by a guy in a BigOleTruck.  Well, the BigOleTruck got both Brandon and me home...Glad for the snow to be gone!







No comments: