Saturday, December 27, 2014

Visit with Aunt Yvonne and Uncle Bob

My aunt Yvonne lives about 30 minutes from me, and I could never seem to come visit, so we decided we would do it this Christmas break.  She lives in Trussville right across the street from a house that Magan and I looked at when moving to Birmingham.  That would have been neat.  I apparently wrote her house number down incorrectly as I could not find which house she lived in, stopping on the side of the road to call her, she came out her front door and said I was already there.  :)  Uncle Bob showed the boys some arrow heads that he made and gave them an antler to help shape the arrowheads.  They were very impressed.   





I also found another old picture album, and looked through it as Yvonne and Bob explained who everyone was...First was a picture of my Pop when he was young, then two with my Pop and Maw together, then one of Pop working at US steel, another of the family I remember living right up the road from MawMaw and PawPaw...I really don't know how to type the pronunciation of MaMaw (Bessie Burkett) and PaPaw (John Earl Burkett), but that will have to do...also in the pick was my pop, aunt becky and aunt yvonne, Next is a picture of my PaPaw with two of his sisters and little Jerry Burkett, My MaMaw with Jerry and Yvonne on the wagon, and PaPaw with  little Jerry on a horse (Bob said that he always wanted to get him a horse).

Yvonne let me have an old annual to take to Mom that showed Jerry as being voted Class President, "Favorite Boy", and "The most Polite".  With a nickname like "Slick", you had to be the favorite, right?














Bob told me about Uncle Arnold, younger brother to Bessie Burkett.  He said that Uncle Arnold was in WWII and captured by the Germans.  He stayed in Stalog IVB, one of the largest prison camps.  Uncle Arnold confirmed to Bob that he was the guy in the picture below leaning against the wall right near the window looking at the camera.




No comments: