Saturday, September 19, 2020

AHG Service Day with Grace Klein Ministries

Grace Klein Community seeks to create authentic community (Koinonia) by uniting diverse individuals, businesses, ministries, and churches to work together by sharing what they have in order to meet physical and spiritual needs both locally and globally.  This is one of the primary groups our AHG troop has been helping to serve, and on this "Day of Service" we met up with many groups at a house that Grace Klein use to support women and single mothers in times of need.  

The girls stayed inside working on cleaning the house and organizing some paperwork, while the boys and Savannah stayed outside and cleared the trail in these pictures below.  Haha...one of the leaders that was inside asked if we had been doing anything while they were inside working.  I guess I should have taken a before picture of this trail.   After the work inside the girls were able to walk up and down the trail, and play on the swing.  Did I mention that Ruby was showing everyone how well she could plank and other exercises.  :)

After the boys finished, one of the Grace Klein workers asked if me or Jonathan were good with a pole saw.  Both of us looked at each other and then the tree that had branches hanging over the power lines to the house, and I guess he looked down first...so I picked up the saw and started getting to as much as I could reach.  Then as I am not comfortable with heights, not at all, I decided to not try and get on a ladder with the pole saw...instead I thought maybe I can reach better being on the roof.  So after calling Jacob Vail, my alfa agent, and verify that my life insurance was paid up, onto that roof I went.  Leaning out over a 20 foot drop with a pole saw cutting limbs was...an experience...but slowly we cut the tree down.  One of the Grace Klein guys finally got there with a chainsaw, and while we did hit the lines, we only grazed them and did not get ourselves in any major trouble.  Sam was on rope duty while we pulled the tree trunk in the right direction...and Davis used the pole saw to clean up the remaining branches and trunk once on the ground.  

It was a very hard day, and neither Jonathan or I was thinking that was what we had signed up for, but we did get some cool grace klein gear before we left.  Ruby and Belle got some bumperstickers and hats, and the boys got shirts that say "The church has left the building"...which is pretty cool, and a good message.  I think Magan had a photo session because she had to leave, but the rest of us with the Baileys went to Taco Mama for lunch, then Jonathan and Savannah joined me and the boys for some frisbee golf.  Hard Day, but fun day!
























 

 

 

 

No comments: