Saturday, September 24, 2016

Spelunking at Tumbling Rock

Definitely one of the coolest adventures I have ever been on, and glad to be there with my new Boy Scout sam.  I had many of the leaders either recommend this as the best trip to go on...or to warn me about not going on this one...both of those helped steer me to make sure I get to this campout with Sam. 
 
We drove up early on Saturday morning to Tumbling Rock in North Alabama, and as we set up the camp, our first group of scouts went into the cave around 9:30 AM.  After we had the campsite ready, our group went in shortly after 11:00AM...and went 3 miles deep returning to the sunshine around 5:00PM. 
 
Inside the cave we had nothing but the lights on our hard hats.  And not really knowing WHAT was around the next rock, or over the next rock...we ate lunch near the "Christmas Tree" (a stalagmite that had been decorated), and climbed through a hole in the area to reach the "Topless Dome"...I shined a light up, but didn't see the top. 
 
Sam had the only injury of the cave tour busting his lip on a rock (trying to kiss the rock).  But we made it out, sore and tired.  The next morning I learned how to make some homemade donuts with the Old Goat "Adult" Patrol.  I am putting this one on the list to go with Sam every year, and look forward to Dave joining us in a couple of years. 
 



















No comments: