Sunday, August 4, 2019

Georgia Weekend - Davis Reunion

And we finally made it to the Davis family reunion.  MawMaw has mentioned it for many many years, and we just never found the time, but very glad were were finally able to attend.  I saw pictures of the famous cousins...Jody Davis, Linda Davis, and Hillary Scott.  I saw pictures of my MaMyrt, my Uncle Billy, and my PawPaw.  I was able to connect with Lamar Davis, with whom I had received so many emails previously.  We saw gravesite pictures of family members, and I learned about Jasper Davis traveling across Alabama and spreading the seed that would one day bare our clan, then returning to Toccoa to be buried at the family graveyard.  But most of all, getting to be there with MawMaw and see all the family and friends that we hear about, but just have never seen.  It was truly as fun time. 
 
So some humorous moments that I just don't ever want to forget about this day...Lamar praying about the good food prepared by the Shelby Baptist Convention Center, don't know why mentioning it so specifically tickled me, but that was funny stuff...the one cousin I met and asked about which family tree branch she belonged too, then she responded "Well mama was from this branch, and daddy was from this branch, and they didn't know they were fifth cousins till they met Lamar", that is great stuff...inside silly joke for me and Magan "cafeteria style"...and the best line of the day was one I didn't even catch, but Magan shared with me later, Lamar was asking about who was the oldest person there at the reunion, and him and another guy were in there late 80s, but one lady raised her hand that she was 94,  Lamar looked at her then to the other older guy, and said "Looks like we will be the oldest around here pretty soon", hahahahaha, that still cracks me up...All in All it was great food with great company, and hopefully we can make it back again. 
 
 



 










No comments: