Sunday, October 2, 2022

MawMaw RoadTrip

 I had hoped to make this trip to the Davis family reunion with the family, as we had back in 2019, but they were all busy.   But I didn't have much going on, and MawMaw needed a ride, so off we went on the MawMaw road trip.   I had been looking forward to this weekend, as it is a pretty rare occurrence where you have a grandparent all to yourself for a whole weekend.   Sam and I picked MawMaw up on the Friday before on our way home from Starkville, and I think treated her to refridgerator clean out that night for supper.   The plan was to leave a little after lunch, but MawMaw mentioned she had never been to a Buc-ee's before, and we decided to leave a little early and see what we could see along the road.

Our first stop was Buc-ees, where we took it all in, and right out of the gate, we ran into THE BUCEE.   I was hoping to get our picture with the big stuffed one on this red truck, but instead we got a treat of a picture with the REAL one.   I think MawMaw was amazed, but probably also thought everyone was crazy for liking Bucees so much.   And really it is crazy how it has become a destination location along the interstate.   We picked up some beef jerky for Davis, then MawMaw went crazy on the sweets, grabbing both a pecan log and some divinity.   I had to force her into not taking more than two bags of Beaver nuggets.  :)   We then decided to grab some sandwiches for a picnic lunch, so we grabbed some of the world famous BBQ sandwiches to go.  Did we use the World Famous bathrooms?  Of course we did!  

Our next stop was at the Georgia State line Rest Area, where it was a little chilly, but a perfect day for a picnic   We did both wave at Sam who was sitting in the stands at Talladega as we passed by.  We talked about how this used to be a perfectly good activity for the day, having a picnic lunch at a rest area.   And we opened up the first bag of our beaver nuggets.   One of the best parts of this day, was that we just did it, this is extremely rare for me, as I am a planner, and feel like I have to have everything planned out perfectly, yet we just enjoyed the company, enjoyed the conversation, and stopped when we were ready to stop.  I stop at this rest area quite often when traveling for work, but never had such a great lunch.   Even had a nice conversation with the lady in the rest area, who verified that the gondola at Stone Mountain could be ridden without having to buy tickets to the whole park.  So I asked MawMaw if she was up for a trip up the mountain, Sure, she was.  

We made it to Stone Mountain, and walked up to the Gondola.   Then found out that in high winds which had been measured about 15 minutes before we walked up, then stop taking people to the top.   We were so close, but I think both of us were happy that we were not in that little gondola blowing around at high winds.  So we walked over to one of the viewing spots so at least we had evidence that we made it to Stone Mountain.   Then before leaving, and since we had paid our way into the park, I drove around the mountain for a bit and stumbled onto a really pretty covered bridge out onto an island in the park.   We got out again to enjoy a little stroll along the bridge, then decided to keep pressing onward.  Cornelia Georgia was only 1.5 hours further.   

Along the way, I don't recall all of our conversations, but I do not remember much of any breaks in these conversations.  Talked alot about family, alot about church, alot of old stories and new stories, but I do recall one comment as we came close to Cornelia.   MawMaw pointed out the exit for Level Grove Airport, and mentioned that she was "glad it was level if they have an airport there".   And that is the silly humor that has passed down thru my dad and into me.  Of course I played along commenting on it previously being called Uneven Grove before they did the work to get the airport there.   There was a little more back and forth, not really prompting laughter, just recognition that we were both silly and ready to be at our hotel.  

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Cornelia, GA, and began looking around for a place to grab supper.  I saw a local place online that seemed fun...like a 50s diner place.   It just seemed like a fun place to hang out with your MawMaw.   And it was perfect.   From the real phone booth outside to the 50s decor inside, it was a fun spot to hang out for a bit.   MawMaw's shirt even matched the booth a little bit.  Our waitress was Kira (rhymes with Tera), so of course we chatted with her about about that.  She was expecting a baby soon, and seemed like she ran the place, because she had no problems handling multiple tables and carrying on small talk.   Our food was excellent, MawMaw had a huge cobb salad and I got the Chicken Quesadilla...but the kicker for me was the fried brussel sprouts...then Kira blew my mind by bringing me some siracha and honey to dip these brussel sprouts into...Wow, amazing.  We also got some silly pics outside in the phone booth before we left.  

On the way back to the hotel we found the signature apple monument of Cornelia.   MawMaw had found this when searching for things to do around Cornelia the night before, and we drove right up to it...so of course I had to have a picture there.   And back at the hotel, MawMaw let me get my football fix so I turned on the Auburn LSU game to watch.   Then she came out from the shower with her Auburn pajamas on...so she was ready also.  

In the morning, we enjoyed a pretty good hot breakfast there at the hotel.  Had our own little table, both of us upset they did not have orange juice, but she was tricked even more by accidentally getting the kiwi juice, ugh.   Before leaving the hotel, we got to call Miss Ruby on her Birthday and sing to her.  And then off to Toccoa to get to the Davis Family Reunion.   We were one of the first ones here, which is good, and allowed us to do alot of visiting.   

I met Lamar Wilbanks, who was nice to chat with.   I learned that he was one of PawPaws buddies at these family events.   PawPaw was always nice to travel to these events, but not as big socializing with everyone as MawMaw and MaMyrt were.   But I can see him finding a table with Lamar and talking about high priced power bills, coffee, and other things (Randy Travis says they like to talk about the weather, so assume there was some of that as well).   Regardless, connections are made at these family reunions, and it is these little connections and sparks that help jog memories of loved ones lost.  

I met Lamar Davis again, and was happy to see his wife Dot again.   She had been under the weather and didn't know if she would make it, but immediately waved at me and said Hi Scott when she saw me...and such a sweet lady.  Lamar showed me some of the pics, one below that I think is a multi-great grandfather Lilburn Jasper Davis.   I think it would have been an uncle of Lamars, but he told me how his dad would tell him stories of going to see Lilburn and sit on his porch telling stories...probably talking about the weather...more connections.

I met Miranda MacKenzie, but in my mind I just saw her as "Boobs" MacKenzie (scroll thru the pics below, you will know who I am talking about).  "Boobs" was our secretary of the Davis Family Reunion, and had to get some notes from MawMaw as she had the role prior to her.   MawMaw and I had had some conversations on this trip about modest dress on the long trip over, and of course we talked about how Miranda was dressed on the way home.   So I already gave her a heads up that I would refer to her as "Boobs" in my blog.   I don't know if she approved, but the stifled chuckle when I mentioned the name was enough for me to proceed with the use.   

I met I think 2 of Lamar Davis' sisters, but I think there were more there.   I met a mechanical engineer from Georgia Tech, we were both told we needed to meet each other because we were both engineers.   I met a tall guy named Howard that wrote a really big Davis ancestry book that was later auctioned at the reunion for $210!  I met another guy that often travelled through Vidalia, GA, so we talked about Plant Hatch.  I met several sweet ladies that I did not catch their name.  I learned John Asa Davis was a big time preacher.   And Tom Dooley was our connection to the church where we had the event.  

We had a meal of green beans, mac and cheese, and chicken fingers...which was a meal.  I would have liked to have some sauce for the chicken, but hey, we had a good meal.  We sat with Barron Harbin, who is the vice chair of the reunion.   He also has a lumber business that is about to be passed to the 5th generation, which is really pretty amazing.  MawMaw and I won the prize (applause) for being the ones that drove the farthest to this event (250 miles).  

And then it was over.   We said our goodbyes, took a last few sets of pictures, and got the car with full bellys.   Of course Level Grove came back up as we passed by, and we made a pit stop at Jaemor Farms to pick up a "peck of apples".   I was like a kid here and kept grabbing stuff for mawmaw to buy me....haha, which she did, and MawMaw...Those donuts and pork skins were GREAT!   Thank you.   

Nothing much on the way home, just a battle changing 7 lanes in Atlanta to get over and out to Birmingham.  One last pit stop at the Alabama welcome center, and finally back into Hayden to drop MawMaw off back at home.  It really was a quick trip, but felt much longer.   Regardless of the time, it is an adventure I will always treasure.   Love you MawMaw...I'll be looking for the next road trip.   




























No comments: