Sunday, November 6, 2022

Visit to King's Chair

 I will learn one day that I am not a good judge of leading others on hiking trips.   I really tried to pace myself when alone on this same hike and try and judge the distance and difficulty.   It was not bad, I went very slow can made it in about 58 minutes to the top.  Bad knees and all.   But somehow that does not transition well to others.   They seriously underestimated the amount of water needed, and how does someone drink a whole bottle of water before we are halfway up.   Anyway, not calling any names, just glad I carried some extra.  

It was supposed to be a big youth hike, but Sam and Davis had work on this Sunday,  Cohen got in trouble, Larkyn and Lauren had something else, others said that they don't like hiking...and thus we had Anabelle, Savannah, and Cash.   But it was a fun day, and while a little warm, nice time after church to get to the top of Double Oak Mountain.  

No snakes were seen on this journey, and all were happy to reach the top and jump into the sandwiches and snacks.  After our meal we walked up to Kings Chair a few steps away, and tried to figure out everything we could see.   We saw Chelsea High School.   We saw the Wilsonville power plant.   And we think we saw some portions of Chelsea.   I pulled out a frisbee for the way down, and we had a game where each person would throw it and try to keep it along the trail.   Then I threw one really good, but it went directly into a tree, like most of my disc golf days...but this was not a disc golf disc...it was one of the cheap ones that was given to us at an event...and it immediately shattered into 5 pieces.   So our game was over.  

We took the shortcut down, and Anabelle had a very hard fall on her knee.  I am continually amazed at the toughness of our kids.   I could tell right away by looking at her face that it hurt VERY BAD.   She did not cry, just hobbled down to a bench and we put on a bandaid to a spot with a really bad gash.  I hated that she got hurt because her being there made me so happy.   Hiking is probably not on the top of her list, but she wanted to go as now part of the youth, and I think she likes being with her dad a bit too.   But it was fun to watch her and Savannah connect a bit more on this day.  Time to connect with cash, who is my new mentee, for a bit.   And always fun with Mr. Jonathan.  













No comments: