Saturday, March 24, 2012

Spring Break 2012 - Moundville

John and Shea joined us for this fun day at Moundville. We planned to meet them at 9:30 at their exit in Tuscaloosa, then after two crying babies the night before, and me waking up at 8:15...I knew it would not happen. But we were able to make it to Tuscaloosa by 11 to eat lunch with them at Arbys.


I have been wanting to bring the kids here for a long time, having pleasant memories of my one trip down to moundville as a kid. I don't remember to much about the trip before, but I do know how the boys must have felt to see that HUGE mound to climb up, as that is how I remembered it...only now...not so big.


I was hoping for some more insight on WHY and HOW the indians made these mounds, and during our 20 minute video in the 60 seat auditorium (small room with wooden chairs and a large old-school tv). Their video began by telling me that some indian in tight blue jeans from Dances with Wolves was going to tell us all about indians of our nation. Slightly confused as I was really only interested in Moundville, this ended up being a commercial. Then the real history of moundville began and I learned absolutely nothing. "Why did they build these Mounds"...I don't know, and the narrator did not either. "Why did they have different sizes and laid out in different arrays" I don't know, and the narrarator did not either. Apparently we don't know alot about moundville, but the ponds are where they most likely got the dirt from. And no burial mound either, that was kinda dissapointing.


Our first stop was Mound A, named for the first letter in the alphabet, also the tallest mound. Sam and Davis had a blast climbing this hill, but the chiefs house was closed due to some damage. I remember going in their as a kid, and I think they had some kind of diorama set up, but can't remember what it was.







Belle loved picking the different flowers atop Mound A, and Magan and Shaab liked sitting on the bench and feeling the cool breeze. My opinion is that these mounds produced a place for the chief to hold up his son to all the people of the tribe and the surrounding forest animals. They would all gather and sing Elton John songs to commemorate the birth of a new chieftain heir.


Sam, Davis and I then found the secret back way down mound A.










Sam and I then climbed up Mound B, named for the second letter in the alphabet. Sam wanted me to take a picture of him at the top, and it was pretty neat as we were very high off the ground, and mound A was in the background even higher. Sam covered all of the ground atop Mound B.






Moundville also had a new museum area, with a gift shop and bakery. After visiting this for a rest, we went down to the Black Warrior river. It was also a nice area and had an indian village with some more dioramas of different activities of the indians 700 years ago.


All in all, the weather was perfect, and we had a great day. But I think we can mark Moundville off the list for a while. Unless John and Shaye get that annual pass or something. It was also good to see where they will be living as a couple in a few months.





No comments: