Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sam's Business


Sam has always been a hard worker, but know he has been looking to make some money with that hard work.  I woke up Saturday morning and went in the living room to see Sam watching YouTube videos...What was he watching?  How to make stuff with Duct Tape.  Neither Magan or I knew he even knew how to find stuff on YouTube, but there he was on the couch with a roll of Duct Tape I had gotten when I was in college (I knew we would find a use for it someday).

By the end of the day, Sam was making pens that looked like roses, bracelets and wallets.  While the roses are pretty cool, and the bracelets are neat, the wallets are actually the same size as the one I use, and seem much lighter.  So, knowing he would like it, I asked him to make me one with three pockets (one for cash, and two for credit cards).  I gave him a card to use as a template and told him the sizes I wanted.  This is when he informed me that he could make it, but it would be 0.25 / pocket.  So my total would be $0.75 for this wallet. I was not expecting to have to buy one, but was impressed that he had already developed his business strategy, so I concurred with this price and arrangement.  He also talked me into a yarn bracelet that he has learned to french braid into a bracelet.  Again for 0.75.

The wallet he made was actually really good, and I may start using it more often.  So I paid him the 0.75 with a 0.25 tip for the good work.  The bracelet was good, but he still needs some practice there, so I did not give him the tip on that one.  :)

So, he is right now out near our street making these wallets with a sign saying "Duct Tape Wallets for Sale".  So this is just a heads up for the family...he may be by making some sales calls soon.


No comments: