Saturday, October 21, 2017

AHG Campout - Rickwood Caverns

I am very excited for Belle as she begins American Heritage Girls (AHG), and so far it is exactly what she likes to do, and she was very excited to bring us on her first AHG campout.  Sam was off with the boy scouts, and Davis made sure his tent was way away from us, but it was a great intro to camping for our Mom and Ruby that had never been in a tent at night.  I made sure we had the queen size blow up mattress for the girls, and lots and lots of blankets.  I bet the people helping us bring our stuff to the tent were wondering if we also brought the kitchen sink, and we did not, I am not a plumber.  
 
The campfire was fun, and immediately showed the differences between the boys and girls were songs.  So many cute little songs for the girls.  Yes, I have them on you tube and I will learn them soon.  Like I said, super excited for this journey for both of my girls.  Can't wait to be an AHG dad, but will back off if I can get Momma Princess able to put together the tent by herself.  Belle made her own headlamp with her ear covers. 
 
The next day those girls played and played and played.  Belle found her a little worm she played with for awhile, and Ruby took care of a long leg spider for awhile.  The girls did a service project where they wrote and colored cards for veterans.  And Davis found a little girl that pretty much stayed with him the whole time.  Pictures are a little out of order, but just camped one night.  Weather was perfect in upper 40s, and I slept great.  I have a new hand pump air mattress for backpacking that is amazing on the back and super small. 
 
The girls also went on a 1 mile pretty strenuous hike climbing over many rocks.  Then we took a tour of rickwood caverns.  The caves were not real open, but had some neat areas, plus we walked within about 2 feet of a couple of bats and that was kind of weird.  Ruby fell asleep at about the middle of this cave tour, and I got to carry that dead weight out of the cave...very slowly up about 102 steps at the end.  I did not take my long run this week, but counted it complete for that cave tour. 
 
Story that happened later...Belle came to us the next night in tears...she remembered her AHG leader telling them to not take anything from the state park, and she had hidden and brought home a little stick that she had made.  It is in one of the pictures below and it really cute, and we would have told her she could bring that home...but it was sweet to see that innocent little face realize that she had broken the rule, and she was so sorry.  Magan and I both had to hug her tight for awhile till she was able to go back to sleep.  
 








































No comments: