Friday, October 13, 2017

Davis' Field Trip - 4H Center

The Alabama 4H center is hidden in Columbiana, AL, but really a nice LARGE facility.  Never been out here, but I was able to join Davis on a nice day for a field trip.  On our first activity of the day, I thought this will not be good, when the leader said "Who wants to get wet". 
 
So right out of the box, the kids put on boots and with nets starting trying to find bugs and critters in the ecosystem.  They mentioned some other scientific stuff, but I was just thinking this is a recipe for some wet kids for the remainder of the day.  And I was right, couple of the kids went in too deep and had wet feet for the rest of the day, then Davis did the same with one foot, then another kid just "accidentally" slipped in without any boots.  Dear me, well I was only watching Davis and two other boys (Robby and Tyler), and 2 of my 3 had wet feet.  Davis is pointing below to a water bug he found, and one of the other boys found a large crawfish. 
 
Davis is fun to watch as he is much more of a volunteer than Sam.  As in, he actually raises his hand to volunteer when Sam finds his way behind the largest kids to ensure that his hand is not even seen.  I wish I had a video of Isaac's mom jerking madly to get away from a yellow jacket...probably the funniest thing I saw all day.  Two kids stung...LOTS of yellow jackets.  I think Davis and the other kids learned alot, the leaders here were really good with the kids, and Me and Dave got to play around and be silly a bit too.  
 










No comments: