Saturday, November 11, 2017

Webelo Camp (Sparks in the Dark)

My first camping trip with just Davis, and we went to the "Sparks in the Dark" campout with just the Arrow of Light scouts that will be crossing over to boy scouts in February.  We missed the first night of the campout, but got to Taneyhill early to learn about the iron working that would go on later that day.  Did I mention that this was the morning it was about 40 degrees, and my car did not have any heat?  Me and Davis were freezing. 
 
We learned about Indian Lore later that afternoon and made an indian necklace.  One of the other dads said that Davis came up to him and said about the necklace "Is there anything I can do with this thing except choke myself"...the dad told him he could give it to his sister as a Christmas present.  He said Davis smiled big and said "You just saved me a buck fifty"
 
Davis had a scratch pad for the iron pour, and made a cool picture, it originally had I think the date, but he messed up, so I talked him into it saying Davis on one side...and Dad on the other.  A sweet gesture if it wasn't so obvious that I was not the first choice for that area.  We watched the men from US steel go thru several iron pours for these plates all the boys got to make, and did see a great number of "sparks in the dark" from the formation of the iron.  Pretty neat to watch.  They later retired some flags on the leftover slag in the bottom of the iron making cooker (sorry, I don't know any of the official terms...I was talking with the other dads while they went over this information with the scouts).  
 







No comments: