Sunday, June 9, 2019

Honduras

Such an amazing trip and eye-opening experience.  I tried to take notes to help me remember so many amazing moments.  Watching the Lord work in Honduras was something I hope to share with all of our family, and hoping Sam can join me next year.  So below is a hodge podge of notes and stories that hopefully will help me remember and share my first week in Honduras. 

Day 1 - Arrival
  • We had a 6AM flight to Miami out of Birmingham, so I was up at 3AM to pick up the Angells on the way to the Airport.  In Miami, John left us in pursuit of a breakfast spot, and found a table for 12 at TGIF.  By 12:30PM we had arrived in Tegucigalpa (a difficult place to land, but haha I was not even thinking about it because I was deep into watching Free Solo and terrified for that crazy climber).
  • After a 2 hour bus ride up into the mountains (that is kind of a joke, that whole country is mountains), we arrived in Campamento and met the preacher and his wife.  I led the Lord's Supper thoughts with the bread/juice that had been prepared by Maximo and Daisy. 
  • Then our first supper in Honduras of Pork Chops, Corn, Potatoes and Beet Salad
Day 2
  • Our first day in Honduras would be our work day.  CRF ensures that each week visit includes some manual labor for the surrounding area, and we were to mix and pour a concrete floor for one of the local families.  This was in interesting experience where I learned how to mix concrete and be a part of a bucket line for water and cement.  Wow, I feel like I can work pretty well, but on cement batch #6...I was wore out.  Blister on my baby computer hand, and shoulders beat.  But we did it and helped that family with a new floor.  It was amazing to see the whole neighborhood chip in to help during this work.   
  • I also got to enjoy working with Maximo (preacher in Honduras) and trying learning some Spanish with him.  He taught me about the pala that was blistering my hand, and that Tierra con aqua hacer lode...which led to a Spanglish conversation around the story of Jesus healing the blind man.  And Maximo laughing at my mispronunciation of ojos (eyes).
  • I did get an opportunity to share some magic tricks with the neighborhood kids that just laughed and laughed.  Otra Vez...was repeated.
  • And at this house is where I met my friend Walter (and his amigo Javier).  Walter was very proud of his 11 conejos (rabbits) and was excited when I asked to see them.  He had 8 baby rabbits and three bigger rabbits (Oso, Princesa, Timo)
  • Our church had helped pay for rebuilding Sister Carmen's house, and since she was nearby, we went up to visit with her.  It was great to finally meet her and her children that we support.  
  • On the way out, Bobby got stuck in the mud and it took 20 people lifting the truck finally to get it unstuck.  
  • That night we attended a Bible Study at Lydia's house, who was so moved by our visit and Israel's lesson that she recommitted her life that night.  This was also where I met Juanita, Markus mother, and later after the study, we went up on the hill and were able to pray for Brother Markus.  Truly and amazing day. 
DAY 3
  • This was our first VBS day, and we had a great time leading songs and crafts for the kids.  The games were also great, but I had forgotten the Bibles on this day, so no Bible Drill.  
  • I got to meet Maximo's family (Daisy and his four sons Patrick, Andy, David, Gabriel).   
DAY 4
  • Another VBS today, this one way up on the mountain.  I met my little amigo Amin on this day, and loved watching him with a punch balloon.  I practiced my Spanish with his father and found where he lived.  
  • This is the day where we delivered mattresses to families near the school.  It was a 2.5 mile hike to these houses scattered about on the mountain.  We were able to pray over a lady that was the oldest in the area (91).  We saw the mattresses that we were replacing and it was unreal to think these kids were sleeping on such a thin piece of foam.  And I can still see their smiles as we put the sheets on their new bed.  
  • That evening Dave Long taught the lesson with translation help from Josue and Marjie.  Me and Peyton read scripture in Spanish.  
  • My new friend Jeffrey was able to have his parents at services on Wednesday, his father had not attended in years.  
  • Me and Dave Long shared leg space on the truck ride back from the school on this day
  • And I also received a text from Magan glad that I was getting to "take a nice hike" in Honduras, but she was busy getting kids ready for bible school
DAY 5
  • John Clemons thinks in PowerPoints...Grace does not miss her family...I drew pictures of the kids as an artist joke...Got to meet Noa's mother...Go Vols = Snowballs...Met Bob Wilkerson (88) who drove down to Honduras when he saw a preaching needed many years prior...Denise left our sandwiches at the daycare, and Jeffrey had never had that happen before...
  • This was our last day for VBS, and we added a section to memorize/read John 3:16, along with some Bible Drill games, and it really worked well.  And since this was our last day, we handed all of our material, staples and hole punches to the teachers that were overwhelmed.  I had another little boy with the punch balloon that was in hysterics...cracked me up.  
  • That evening we drove up on the mountain for another home bible study.  Eduardo taught from Mateo 8, then asked me to close the service in prayer...I tried to include Spanish in the prayer, and I think it was understood...at least Eduardo recognized some of the thoughts from Psalm 23. I was so nervous.  
DAY 6
  • On our final full day, we began by walking through town to the Abuelas home (Old folks home).  Those guys were great.  We played Bingo with them, sang some spiritual songs with them in Spanish and English, then tried out chu chu wa...and it was great.  Those guys loved chu chu wa as much as the kids loved it during VBS
  • We later visited the CRF farm where they are working to have a self sustaining operation to harvest chickens, eggs, and pigs.  
  • That afternoon we drove up to Sister Noamin's house.  She is the one that walks 2 hours each Sunday to service, and our church supports three of her children.  It was again so nice to visit people I have heard so much about, and get to play with her children.  
  • After returning to town, we attended another singing service at the church building where I saw a true gift from God.  Eduardo led the singing service, leading songs requested from each person. When he got to us from Chelsea, who did not know any of the Spanish songs in the book, he asked us to hum a tune from the English song book, and from one line, he could identify the song, then Spanish equivalent, and then the Spanish hymn number for that equivalent.  That was just amazing.  Israel taught a lesson from Mateo 22 that evening, then we went back to the day care for one last night.
DAY 7
  • On our final day, we walked thru town to a store owner that was a member of the church.  He had soccer shirts that I bought for the kids.  I bought 6 nice soccer shirts for less than $40 total.  We then got back on the bus for a two hour bus ride back into Tegucigalpa.  
  • The flight back into Miami was great, as I was next to Ada Nienez who spoke zero English, so more opportunity to practice mi espanol.  
  • In Miami I got to try some authentic Cuban food in the airport, then as our flight back to Birmingham was delayed till 11PM, then 12AM, then 1AM...things started getting delirious...Kylen was just falling asleep anywhere, a video of a little kid attacking an alligator started being shared, my hair started going crazy...then the funniest thing was Dave looking up to the TV and saying "That must be the ugliest guy I have ever seen", shocking Kendall and leading her to say this must be what it is like with "Elders after Dark"...I lost it.  And still do as I write this...Elders after dark...that is just funny stuff.  
That's it... And a lot of pictures...probably many more stories in these pictures...but I am tired and will hope they stay close in the memory bank.  








































































No comments: