Friday, March 11, 2011

Disney 2011 - Day 1 "Are we there yet"

The driving day...often known as the day kids forget how to sleep or take any sort of nap. I believe we made it to Childersburg before we heard the first "Are we there yet". We were able to leave fairly early at 6:30AM, thankfully Magan had everything pretty much ready to go in the morning. We planned pretty well for our 10 hour journey by packing 20 hours of movies for the kids to watch. But I realized quickly that the number of times I was asked "Are we there yet" was directly proportional to the number of times they have watched a movie...for example, Toy Story 3 has been watched hundreds of times...therefore, the kids were easily distracted and able to ask the dreaded question...BUT, Sleeping Beauty was relatively unknown therefore allowing a period of silence almost unrecognizable to Magan and me. Good Thinkin' Mom. I finally did get an idea that I thought would work...I gave Sam a map of Florida, and showed him where we were at. I explained that we were on the blue road (I75) and it ran down to the green road (Toll Road - Florida's Turnpike) which ran straight into Disneyworld (Orlando). Sam is very much like me and loved the map, and even read some of the city names we passed by...but then both him and Davis found a new question..."Are we on the green road yet".





We finally made it and decided to go to Downtown Disney for supper. We ate at the new T-Rex restaurant, and had fun watching the meteor showers every 20 minutes. I don't think Davis or Ben were really sure of all of those animatronics dinosaurs, but we made it through.



I don't remember much more of the night other than getting to the hotel and being ready for bed. I do remember that we thought we had left one very important bag at the house, and both Magan and I began to stress over it. Then of course we found it and realized that it would have made a bad trip to not have our camera battery charger, all of the kids cups, and Belle's pacifiers. We made it to DisneyWorld!

No comments: