Thursday, August 25, 2022

An Old Fort

This was not the first fort in our backyard, the first one still sits out in the woods helping to grow some poison ivy on it.  The first fort was put into our yard in 2012.  I pulled some of the pictures of that weekend from the old blog written on that day.  It was a fort at times, but probably more often has been a princess castle.  The first fort blew over during one of the hurricane storms that made it this far north.  And shortly afterwards, a second one was built.  I think I have been pulled out to these forts by all 4 wanting me to watch them make it across the monkey bars.  I have had to watch many slide down the slide.   I have pushed some on the swings.  It is not the easiest to mow around, and is a weed eating task in and of itself.  

But it was a treasure of memories, a treasure of laughs, a treasure of fairy gardens hidden below, it was actually the home of a captured turtle for a weekend one time.   It had slowly been falling apart, and really stopped getting any attention as the girls got older.   And with a pretty significant lean, it was becoming a bit of a danger to visiting little ones.  So with bulk trash day coming up, me and the boys went out late one night and turned it into a pile of scraps.  And now it is gone.  I searched the blogs with a few key words, but only found the one with the pictures below...but I am pretty sure that this fort or princess castle is in the background of many of our pictures, many of our memories.  

Why is it that little things like this bring tears to my eyes?  Maybe it is looking back and seeing the children small and knowing those years are gone.   Or maybe it is looking forward to what is the next "fort" that will soon be a pile of scrap.  Or maybe it is looking at the present, where Sam has just asked me how to set up a Venmo account, and I feel old because I don't really know what that is.   I think I am just not ready yet to be an "old fort".

 







No comments: