Saturday, September 24, 2022

Climbing towards Self Reflection

A Saturday morning all to myself.   Not really planned this way, I was hoping my new friend Timmy would be able to join me, but I think his knees are worse than mine, so he bowed out the previous night.  Maybe next time.  I think Sam and Davis also had activities on this morning, so off I went grabbing a ChickFilA biscuit then hitting the trail by 7:30AM.   And guess what, it was free Alabama State Park day, so my trip was getting better all the time.   

My plan was to move at a snail's pace, as I am planning to bring the youth up here to Kings Chair later in Novermber, and I wanted to get a good feel of the time it would take them.  My first lesson on this trip was that the 1st uphill part out of the trailhead is the hardest.   Maybe because the knees were just not ready yet, but maybe because it is a very steep climb to get started with.   But at this slower pace, I did not have to watch each footstep as close, which allowed me to look around, enjoy the scenery.

The Blue trail runs from the North Trailhead all the way to the South passing Peavine Falls in the South.   I have been on that portion many times with the kids.   And even this section was one of our first family outings during the COVID days.  It seems so strange how there was almost a cringe when you came upon other people on a trail.   No one was masked, but we new that COVID was all around, and could be hiding out in Oak Mountain.  But now, it is nice to see other hikers, wave, and chat about the beautiful weather.  The trail is marked well, but I notice two areas where the trail seemed to come to a complete end, but once you got to that point, you would find another marker, and see the path continue forward hidden from the previous section of trail.

And then it was there, the King's Chair lookout.  Not many people there when I arrived, so I found a spot to sip my water, and read Isaiah 40:9-31.   When I was young and in Bible Drill, this was a key passage one year, it was called "The Greatness of God".   And from this height, it was a good place to reflect on all the many blessings our family has received.  And recognize that God is great and mighty, yet cares for us so small on this little hill in Alabama.  

I was not ready for this hike to end, so back to the blue trail, I continued forward to Shackleford Pass...areas I have never seen before, all a beautiful somewhat flat passage along the ridge of at least of  the double Oak mountains.  At the Red/Blue connecter, I finally turned towards home.  No snakes on this trip, only two minor knee pains, a total of about 4.5 miles, and a wonderful time of peace and seclusion away from the stress of day to day life.  

I shared my adventure with the small group on that following Sunday, picking on Timmy a bit for not joining me.  I spoke of the difficulty getting started sometimes, but the importance of getting moving and enjoying the things God has created all around us.  The markers and signs are all about us, and will guide us to the top, where we can look out and see and know God's greatness.  And what is the time to King's Chair at a snail pace of a 31 minute mile?...exactly 1 hour and 3 minutes.   






No comments: