Saturday, June 1, 2024

Universal 2024 - Day 8 (Transition to Disney)

Our day began with sad goodbyes to our Universal hotel, Cabana Bay was really amazing.   The kids of course all still like riding the luggage rack, and the wait to ride was fairly short.   We got a picture of Davis' fork chip bag closure device, which was actually pretty good.   Then all out in the hall ready to go...who are we missing?...Yep, mom.   We took the backroads over to Fort Wilderness, stopping at ChickFilA, all craving the best chicken in the world.   Arriving at Disney through the backroads is not as exciting, but anytime I can avoid I4, I am always happy.   

Granddad set everything up for us great.   I had to get the guy at the front gate to draw on the map how to get to the right campsite, wow, this place is huge.   Granddad had the keys all perfectly labeled, and the girls immediately jumped up to try the bed out.  And so ended our full family vacation, as me and the boys said our goodbyes, got in the NAYZEES SUV and headed back north to Alabama.   While I was so excited for the girls and a great opportunity that Granddad put together earlier this year, I texted magan (not while driving of course, but later) that my heart hurt a little bit leaving those guys in the most Magical Place on Earth.   

So what happened on our trip home, not much.   We saw the burning truck on the Interstate heading south, and were glad we were going north.   We stopped in Tifton at a CookOut.   I have never been to one of these, but Sam said they were a staple at college, and I could see why...you get so much food and a wide variety of food.   My order had a bacon roll up, a cheese quesadilla, and a burger.   But then I ordered a milkshake.   No one questioned this order, but Davis later told me that he was definitely questioning it his head.   And it was a bad deal, as milk does not go well with the lactose intolerant, so there were some emergency stops in middle of nowhere georgia, then right as we got into Columbus.  Columbus was the worst as the bathroom at the Hardees was locked, so when I came out, the boys recognized we needed somewhere quick (perhaps it was the tears in my eyes screaming at them "We got to get somewhere with a bathroom quick").   And Guthries helped save me a change of pants, as no one ever goes there anyway, so the bathroom was wide open.  Other than the emergent episodes, the boys and I had a great trip home, we reminisced about the Miami drive the previous year, listened to 2 full Mike Birbiglia specials, and just enjoyed the road.

Back in Orlando, the girls got some rest in the camper, then ventured out to Downtown Disney, where they were able to finally find Dorothy's dress at the Planet Hollywood.   John helped us get set up on his Photopass account, so the girls had some fun pictures at the studio there.   They teased us with the pictures of the Dole Whip.   Magan bought a new purse that would come back into this story later in the week.   Then they went back to the camper to await Granny and Grandaddy, who were in the parks on this day.   One adventure had come to an end, but another was just beginning...
























No comments: