Sunday, June 27, 2021

Our Journey West...Day 10 - Yosemite

 The mornings in the tent were rather nice, maybe right at about 70 degrees, and with a light blanket it was perfect for me.  I woke up early for old man pee time, but went ahead and got my stuff for the shower.  After a nice refreshing shower, I walked out to the main clear part of the valley and saw about 5 deer around me enjoying breakfast.  I can see how this place could pull in so many people that you have to have a reservation just to enjoy the park.

We began our day driving to the visitor center, then taking a hike up to Yosemite falls.  There was a hike to the upper falls, which was way too long, and a hike to the lower falls and seemed a bit more reasonable.  It was a really good hike and one that put us pretty close to the falls.  Then we went off trail (with all the other people that also can not read the sign that said DO NOT GO OFF TRAIL) to start climbing the rocks to the falls.  Pretty fun climbing, and it reminded me and the boys of tumbling rock, just not in a deep dark cave.  I think everyone made it a long way up except for Granny, who instead chose a nice shaded place to rest.  Sam and I kept going, me trying to keep up with him that climbs like a goat.  But he helped out and pointed out the right areas to climb.  And we made it to the falls.  We both stuck our heads in the ice cold water, and enjoyed what was just the first of our waterfall adventures for the day.  

Back with the group we wandered the remainder of the trail.  I noticed at one point that everyone was stopping to take my picture, probably because of the nice sequoia socks I had purchased the night before...but then I turned around and saw that they were probably all just looking at the waterfall behind me.  At lunch, we sat outside in the nice 100 degree weather, and I remember sitting on one of the benches that was unshaded...and not wanting 3rd degree burns, I quickly moved.  Wow, we had to divide up for lunch to find not only a seat, but a shaded seat.  Davis and I got what was one of the best burgers I have ever had...it was a teriyaki turkey burger.  

So on the original plan was hike to three waterfalls, and now we were one down.  After the girls spoke with a ranger to earn another badge, I asked about the second waterfall (Bridalveil), and was told they had construction going on, and you could not get to it.  Then she told me about the last one (Vernal Falls), that I thought was a good choice for our crew to end the day.  She told me that it has restrooms about every mile (Granny quickly said "WHAT!  every mile, how far is this hike" when I relayed that bit to her) and she showed me the route up to the waterfall, and down the John Muir trail after you get to Clark Point.  And it seemed like a really good trip for everyone to enjoy.  Then Me and Sam could go up a little farther for an adventure.  So back to park at Curry Village, and then on our journey to Vernal Falls...I have pasted the write-up on this fun journey below, with some key portions that I failed to see underlined below....

"This very popular hike originates near Happy Isles in eastern Yosemite Valley (shuttle stop #16). The John Muir and Mist Trails offer spectacular, up-close views of two large waterfalls, enjoyable scenery along the Merced River, and unique views across Yosemite Valley. This first paved mile of trail is busiest and accesses the Vernal Fall Footbridge. Almost entirely uphill, you can appreciate views along the way, and during spring, when the water levels are at their peak, you can also glimpse Illillouette Fall from this first section of trail.

You'll find an excellent view of Vernal Fall from the footbridge at 0.8 miles (1.3 km). About 0.2 miles (0.3 km) beyond the bridge, the Mist Trail and the John Muir Trail diverge. To proceed directly to the top of Vernal Fall, follow the Mist Trail 0.5 miles (0.8 km) up a steep granite stairway of over 600 steps. Prepare for slippery footing and a tremendous amount of waterfall spray in spring and early summer (hence the name for this trail!). You will delight in views of Vernal Fall all along this stretch of trail and may even be able to see a rainbow in the spray of the fall. At the top of Vernal Fall, you can experience jaw-dropping views straight down the length of the 317-foot waterfall (please don't cross the railings and use extreme caution while you're near any flowing water or wet rock in this area)."

So from the START of this trail, we walked about 1 mile from Curry village, and at the START of this trail, we saw a really fun place for the kids to enjoy playing in the river after our "fun little hike".  So I knew that the kids would want to get in the water, but also remembered that they have those bathrooms every mile.  And one mile is not very far...I will go back to our tent and get the swimming suits, while the rest of them start the trail to the footbridge where the first bathroom was.  So back I went all the way back to the tents, then finding a walgreens bag to put all the swimming suits in, then turn around and cover the one mile back to the START of the trail.  Did I mention that I had no water on this two mile swimming suit gathering expedition, but luckily there was a half empty (or perhaps half full) bottle of water in our tent slowly reaching a boiling point to help quench my thirst.  I sipped on it, and it helped me last till I made it back to the START of the trail.  So earlier, I did not actually see the START of this trail, and had I have seen the START of this trail, i would have quickly told the rest to just stay here and swim...as the description was 100% Accurate..."Almost Entirely Uphill".  But I knew they were ahead of me, and did not know how far, so up the hill I climbed.  

Up and Up and Up...would it ever end?  And why did everyone look at me so strange?  Is it the socks?  Or the Walgreens back with swimming suits?  Or can they see in my face that I need more than 4 drinks of hot water on a 2 mile run.  And finally around the corner, I ran into Granny, who had found her opportunity to get down this crazy hill, by walking back to find me.  It is wild how quickly we forget how to know where anyone is, when cell phones have no service.  Anyway, I caught up with them, and they were kind enough to let me have some only mildly warm water and some rest.  

But surely that bridge is nearby and we can make it there.  So up up up we all went, only to find that this uphill section would never end.  Sam and I should have seen this earlier.  Then we started falling apart.  Granny and Granddaddy went back down.  Then we sent Sam up ahead to scout it out, and he brought news of a bridge on the horizon, then there was news from people hiking down, that it was close, and encouragement that we could make it.  And with one last push, we made it to the bridge.  The kids changed into their swim clothes at the bathroom and Magan, the girls, and Davis prepared to go back down.  Sam and I had plans to make it to the waterfall, but we wanted to make sure they were OK, so we made sure they had plenty of water, as me and Sam left them with 16.9 fl. oz. of water each.   Belle told us that there was no more water refill stations, only this one here at this bridge...but Sam and I both thought, hey, no problem...all we have to do is climb to the top of this waterfall.  We took some final pictures together, Magan's face about as red as red can get.  Then Sam and I walked up up up and on to the "steel granite stairway of 600 steps".  

It was the adventure that Sam was looking for, and I was looking to have with him...Our journey up to the waterfall was amazing.  The views at each set of climbs made us stop and take pictures and look around.  We made it to the waterfall, and made our way out to the falls spraying us with mist all around us, feeling amazing.  This one was HUGE compared to the earlier falls we climbed to.  But then you can't see the 317 foot drop of the waterfall, without climbing to the top of this waterfall.  So we went on, there was NO downhill sections, only stairs, and around the corner stairs, and thru a tunnel for more stairs.  It put me in some areas where my knees were shaking as the stairs and railing were really just on the side of a drop off.  But then we hit the last stretch of stairs and saw the waterfall from the top.  We walked over to the edge, and the selfie from the top in the picture below just can't grasp the feeling from that height.  

We both smiled and dunked out heads into the water at the top of this waterfall.  It was amazing.  But at this point, we both knew that we had pushed as far as we could go, so it was time to go back down, we had seen Vernal Falls from the top, and I knew we could go no further.  But Sam convinced me to walk a short distance more to a bridge where we could at least see the next falls, Nevada.  And seeing them in the distance was the end of this journey...now we just had to get back.  It was at this point, that we decided not to travel down the 600 stairs, but follow the ranger's advice, and make our way to Clark Point, and back down using the John Muir switchback trail.  And this sounded great as it was new territory for us.  Then we realized on the hike that we were again going up, and going a long way up, and then we started passing others with confused looks asking are you guys sure this is the way.  Not really, but I know the Ranger said it would get us back.  So we went up further.  We then caught this one picture of Vernal falls WAY below us.  It was at this point, we both looked at our water bottles, and realized we only had about 2 drinks left each.  But we kept going up.  And then there is was...and we literally high fived and cheered when we saw it...Clark Point.  We had made it.  This was the point in which we stopped going up, and started going down.  

It was on this downward trip that our last sips of water were depleted, and we went on switchback after switchback, Sam trying to tell me a couple of times about a beautiful view, but I quickly replied, I don't care about any view at this point...just got to get down.  I have been on hikes, and I have ran half marathons, and I have climbed mountains in the dark cave, but this was truly the first time I remember thinking...I am almost at a limit here.  We were shutting down and just walking...refill station...refill station...refill station.  But also, for some reason, at this weird section of trail, my phone started getting service.  So from our delirium, we told granny to get us COLD sandwiches, and Ice COLD lemonade.  And then we made it.  Back to the refill station.  As I sat drinking two full bottles of water, the world started spinning just slightly.  Sam is a strong young man, but he agreed, we pushed that hike to the limit...at least with the limited amount of water we had.  

And slowly we kept one foot going then the other until we made it back to camp...probably about 4 hours after leaving Magan and the kids.  They had a great time in the river, but said it was super cold, and they did not stay for long.  Granny and Granddaddy had left earlier from them, and taken a tour around the park in their vehicle.  Magan said that it was good that I left her the key to the tent and the key to the snacks and drinks (you had to lock them up because of bears)...but I did not leave her the key to our vehicle...which is where her wallet was in her purse.  So they took showers and were stuck at the tents with no money for supper...until a text string was seen...that had Granny getting my food order from the grocery store just steps away.  So that text string connected Magan with Granny and Grandaddy, and since they were already keeping us alive with water and ice, they bought the girls some supper.  

Sam and I ate probably the best ham and cheese sandwiches ever made, and drank lemonade until we were sick. then met back up with everyone at the tent.  The first picture below is one I pulled to the top, and one I found as I left the shower on this evening.  It was a scene that does not happen in hotel rooms with AC, doesn't happen in a 3 bedroom vacation home with technology all around, but it happened her at tent 511 and 512 in curry village, Yosemite National Park.  The kids sat attentive to Granny and Granddaddy as they shared stories of them dating, stories of them in early marriage, stories of me and Colby, and Katie, and John.  It is the stories I have heard, stories that may end up in these blogs one day, but stories that had the kids busting up laughing, and a time in the middle of 5647 miles that is a treasure.  And then it finally happened, something that I thought was outside the realm of possibility....Little Ruby looked up at Granddaddy and excitedly asked "Tell us another one".  And he was out.  At least for that moment, Granddaddy had depleted his well of stories, leaving the kids with plenty of laughter, and leaving us with a perfect memory of this last night in Yosemite.  Oh well, it was bedtime anyway, chairs were moved back into tent, hugs passed around, and our little light bulb turned out for the night.  

WAIT...seriously, I could not go to sleep at this moment because I hade to check my watch and get my step count before it reset.  34446 steps (photo evidence below) in our day...16.6 miles for me and Sam.  Wow, that is cool.  And while I had might light on, I snapped one of Ru, already passed out.  I grabbed one of Dave who was the holder of the one flashlight we shared (yes, granddaddy brought those, I forgot).  And pointed the camera at Belle, doing one of her silly "look at my finger" poses.  And then at me with Magan ("Why are you taking a picture"..."It is so hot in this tent")in the background.  Yes, it was over 90 degrees during these "trying to go to bed" pics, but it was a really great day.  



















































No comments: