Thursday, January 13, 2022

DISNEY Day 13 - EPCOT

Well, the kids finally are old enough for us to try something I have always wanted to do while in EPCOT, but never completed.  Our goal on this day was to eat our way around the World Showcase, finding some food at each pavilion to try.  But of course, before we get started, we made that mad dash at park opening over to TestTrack to get some speed before heading over to the World Showcase.  After making our way over to Mexico, I realized we were a little early to the pavillions, and much of the food options had not opened.  Ruby was happy to get to ride the Mexico ride this time without dealing with a nose bleed the whole time.  So we skipped food in Mexico initially, and went straight to Norway afterwards, where the line for Frozen was borderline ridiculous...stretching almost out of the pavillion.  So we decided instead to wait in line to see Anna and Elsa, and Belle got to go with the big brothers over to ride the more intense Mission to Mars, while me and Mom waited with Ruby.  You can also see that Ruby got her very own photo session in Norway with various poses all around.  I think she had a photo pass lady all to herself for a bit.  And yes, Anna liked my Olaf shirt.  

We began our taste testing at Norway where we tried some of the pastries.  We tried the Norweigian Kingla (Pretzel-shaped Pastry with Assorted Toppings (Almonds or Chocolate)), the troll horn (Puff Pastry filled with Orange Marmalade Cream), and a Lefse (traditional potato flatbread rolled with a sweet cinnamon butter).  All very good.  And also now the Frozen ride was only about a 45 minute line, so in we went, for a long wait.  The ride tends to be easily forgotten in the midst of many good rides...but I would say it is actually pretty good.  I caught another picture of those kids holding hands thru Norway...and they might be embarrassed by those pics, but they are un-posed, and show how close they grew over these last 2 years where we have been together much more than we have before.  There is much that has been bad with COVID, but the closeness it has brought our family is priceless.

After frozen, we had to double up in China, Magan getting some Orange Chicken and egg rolls...while I ran to get some Tostada de pollo (Crispy corn tortillas topped with beans, chipotle chicken, crema Mexicana, queso fresco and avocado-tomatillo sauce) and some sweet corn on the cob (smothered with chipotle aioli, queso cotija and Tajin chile-lime powder).  We ate our meal in China, and took our time, me and the boys even watched Reflections of China...don't know if I have ever done that before.

And on to Germany...yes, there was some discussion about the African Outpost, but it is not a full pavillion, so no food was purchased there.  At Germany, we enjoyed a bratwurst (difficult to split 6 ways), a giant pretzel, and Belle's favorite...Werthers Caramel popcorn.  I found out later Belle had her own bag of popcorn too.  One that she did not have to share with anyone else.  

Our next stop actually bypassed Italy so we could hit the American Adventure show.  And let me tell you, I already struggle when seated in nice air condition, but when you add all this food we had been putting down, it was not looking good for Dad to make it thru this show.  But I think I did well, and maybe dozed a bit, but I know I was awake for World War II forward.  I didn't think anyone would notice, as I build this attraction up as one of the best at EPCOT, which it is! But, it wasn't reflected when Ruby told everyone "Yeah, Dad was out right after the Mayflower".  Thanks Ruby.  So I missed a small gap between Mayflower and World War II...Oh well, something about Ben Franklin and Mark Twain that helps you rest.

We did skip food at the American Pavillion, but we ate McDonalds the night before, and I don't think we could have been more American.  But we did travel back to Italy to enjoy some gelato.  I picked up a root beer float (apparently in Italy it is called a Naufrago), but all was super good.  These lines for food and ice cream are soo long.  I have never stayed in this many lines back to back...for only food.  Ha, it was a different experience, but the family had fun shopping while I was lining.  We did get to catch the performance of Sergio in Italy that is really very entertaining.  We have seen him before, and always a treat.  I hope to steal one of his acts (tight rope lying on the ground) which was done to perfection!

Next up was Japan where we tried some chicken teriyaki (yes, with 6 forks...and one set of chopsticks for davis).  Another long line, but nice area to eat at.  Nothing special here, but I do remember us all making Davis mad as he was complaining about not being able to get any rice, while everyone else was eating it.  "Well, you are the one that chose a device that just pokes at it, we are all using the fork".  He did his little sulking at us picking at him (com'n davis, you know you do), but at least he stopped eating during the sulk, and all the rest of us got to eat more.  Ha, later he played along better, and allowed the "poking your food" to be somewhat of a running joke.

Morocco was a surprise to the budget, as you were able to pick 5 random treats from one of the carts for only $11.  And I am looking at the menu right now, and I have no idea which we tried, and it doesn't really matter, we couldn't have told you the difference 20 minutes afterward...but we did enjoy them all.  Ha, what got most of the attention tho, was the really cool box they sent them with us in.  OK, and if you want to see something scary, just zoom in close on Jasmine below...I warned you.  

Next up was easily the longest lines in our whole day.  So Magan went one way to get the ice cream filled pastry and macarons, and I went to the other bakery to get pastries for tomorrow morning.  This is the place Magan and I have often joked that we would like to just come hang out in EPCOT france all day, just enjoying the coffee and pastries...and maybe that is a blog for another day.  Magan got some pictures of the treats she got which were pretty amazing.  I got us some chocolate croissants, and then one other pastry that the lady suggested...I got 5 of them.  Wow, the next morning breakfast was so good.  

And now we are stuffed with 2 countries to go.  And what does everyone want after a ice cream stuffed pastry...How bout Fried Fish and French Fries from the UK.  Oh yes, I think everyone was just forcing a bite or two at this point, but we finished a whole order.  And on to Canada.  So Canada has a really nice steak restuarant, but other than that, they have nothing...except for one thing...maple syrup popcorn.   Oh well, Belle still wasn't sharing her Germany popcorn, so we all got to try the Canadian corn.  

So we made it around the world.  Bellies stuffed.  No nosebleeds.  Breakfast for tomorrow morning.  With some hours to spare before close.  So off we went to ride Soarin a couple more times (walk on ride, crazy)...I actually skipped the second ride of Soarin to go hit the Land one more time, and I think Davis and Belle joined me.  But Ruby did not pass on any Soarin rides.  The Land is a ride that most people enjoy, but it is special to me because I can see my PawPaw riding it with me.  I see his eyes get big as they would sometimes, I see a small half grin on his face riding the boat with me.  Memories are weird things, but there is a bridge on this ride to the past that makes me smile, has made me tear up, but makes this just one reason why I love EPCOT, and specifically this one slow boat ride showing plants and fish.  Our day ended with one last journey to Spaceship Earth, and a goodbye to my favorite park.  






























































No comments: