Monday, May 29, 2023

The Fence

 Well Granny got a dog, and it is a pretty sweet dog, but a biggun that needs to be outside.   But I can almost see Granddaddy's thoughts as he never saw that dog...but instead saw visions of wood and frame and saws...it was not man's best friend, but an opportunity, a golden chance to build something...A FENCE.  There is a love between Granddad and Lowes that seems to have completely passed over me but perhaps Sam or Davis have picked up a thing or two.  

We took Davis' truck up to Cullman for the first day where we got what seemed like thousands of boards for this project.  But it all came together well.  The Fence slowly came together.   Sam and Davis just jumped right in to help.   I think by the second day, i was a little better.   I still cringe at every use of a nail gun, my insides clinch up with every use of the saw, but it was better by the last day.   Maybe one day I could cut wood and make something.   Or just call Sam and Davis...yeah, that is what I will probably do.  

Davis and Ben dug holes, then dug them again, then dug them a third time for concrete.   We "ripped" boards to form the pattern along the fence.   And then, after leaving after a 2nd day...we saw the final pictures...the Fence was done.   But we all got to work with Granddaddy, and had some good time visiting and picking up new skills.   And I think Sam shared the primary lesson learned, "I don't think I am ever going to build another fence".    Haha...Days like these are just good for the soul.   I still remember Kenny and PawPaw at our house building that first shed out back.   I need days like these more often...too many of mine are spent right here in front of a screen typing these little strings of characters...but in the picture below, I remember the sun on us, remember Jacks chicken with no comeback sauce (Katie!), remember Granny's burgers, remember sweat rolling down after cutting thru all those dang roots of that tree in the back corner, remember me and Davis frustrated with not being able to get those stupid screws into the boards on that back wall, and always remember to cut twice and measure once.   Good Day with Granddad!






No comments: