Monday, July 10, 2023

Road Trip - Day 3...Chilling at the Hotel

Sleeping in late is wonderful, and since my conference did not begin until 1PM on this Monday, we finally were able to catch up on some sleep after two full days of driving.  When we finally woke up, we went downstairs to the hotel breakfast buffet.   It is nice to have status with Marriot, as they gave me 2 free breakfast buffets ($30/each) for each morning we were at the hotel, so I knew the boys would at least have one good meal every day given they were able to wake up and get to the buffet by 11AM.   And the buffet that morning (and every morning) was sweet...made to order omelettes, bacon thick and slightly candied, pancake muffins that were surprisingly amazing, thick oatmeal, smoothies of the day, and an abundance of everything else that can be called breakfast.   For Sam, fruit...so much that he could get his full bowl of fruit every day after already eating a full breakfast.   For Davis, little jellies that he began collecting.   All of that food, and the thing he went on and on about each day was the buttered toast with a new flavor jelly each day.   Haha...I was just glad they had one big meal (free) that would typically hold them over till Dinner, which we could eat together.   

So finally, my work began with a meeting from 1 to 5PM...and the boys went to try out the pool.   The plan was for me to join them after work, but we were all hungry afterwards.   That happens when you only eat breakfast.   Davis was born to hang out at the pool, and relax, so this day was perfect for him.   As for Sam, more like his dad, he was constantly checking on his phone for what else they could do besides sit at the pool.  And always trying to get Davis over to the ping pong table.  Actually, I think even on this first day, he was up earlier than me and Davis and went down to read his book in the lobby while we slept.   

The lobby was really nice with a giant window looking out the back to a large courtyard and the golf course behind that.   The boys also took some time each morning to see what was going on with the snakes and lizards kept in cages at one of the lower levels of the lobby.   They had a diamondback rattlesnake, a kingsnake, another non-venomous snake, and then a lizard.   One of the snakes would follow your finger around the cage, or at least that is what Davis told me.   

After work on this day, we went to try out a restaurant that was recommended by a couple of different people.   It was ok.   Sam got a steak, Davis chicken, and I ordered the "cheap salad", which was actually the name of it.   My stomach seems to get all weird sometimes when traveling, and this evening I felt full, even though I had not eaten.   I say that, but there are so many snacks during the conference that I should probably admit that soft pretzels and peanut m&ms can replace supper fairly easily.   Again, we were in the ritzy area of Scottsdale, and the stores we walked passed where not the normal shopping areas we visit.   But when we came to an actual Tesla retail store, we had to go in and check out the "merchandise".   Sam was impressed with both the trunk and the "frunk" of the Teslas.   I was able to finally try out the handles that look so mysterious when I pass by one.   And the DeLorean style doors are always going to be cool in my book.   So strange to have a store like this just right next to other retail clothing stores.   

And back to the hotel, we walked by where the conference was having a welcome reception, which was great because Sam and Davis got to meet many of the guys I work with.   They both knew Stacy, but had not met Charles, Corey and Robert.   We then went and borrowed some pickleball gear from the concierge and played some games after the sun had gone down.  Sam and Davis continued to be amazed at how horribly inconsistent my serves are...I really like this game, but it frustrates me at how bad I am at serving.   Davis also gets frustrated easy, as he has not yet learned how to hit the ball low, so the floaters keep getting smashed back at him.   So Sam usually wins these games, even playing both me and Davis at the same time.   In the back of my head was always a voice saying "Don't hurt your knee...Don't hurt your knee..."   












No comments: