Saturday, July 11, 2015

Saint Louis - The Gateway Arch

 
I forgot to mention a Davis story from our swimming pool visit after our first day of driving.  Davis loves swimming and when we got to the hotel he came up to Magan in his swimsuit saying his heart was beating toooo fast because he was so excited.  He was later running ahead of us on the way to the pool, and when we got close he yelled "I Can Smell It!"
 
The next morning began with a big breakfast.  Love the Residence Inns.  And Belle found out she really liked this new "Koala" Juice (Guava).  So our first visit was to the Arch.  I think Magan and I both have a picture somewhere with our families in front of this courthouse, so we made our way past the homeless to take this picture of the family with the fountain, courthouse and arch behind us.  One of the locals also fell in love with Magan's hair, but was adamant that she give it to locks of love or...just keep some for herself.   Hmmm...
 
The courthouse had some really neat exhibits.  Magan was very interested in the Beaver Skin hats.  And out on the road they had what Belle called "princess carriages" where even the horses hoofs were painted pink with sparkles. 
 
Anyway, trying to be brave for my children, I went up to the top of the 630 foot tower in the little tiny elevator.  Not until we got off the few steps at the top, and Magan place our youngest child right up at the windows, did my panic attack start.  Toes clenched, breath short, I can actually see right through the floor to my death.  I can feel us all falling.  I am terrified.  Davis had a scared look too, but luckily he got over it quickly at the top...I did not.  I was very happy to be back down, and based on family experience, will never have to go back up.  We bought a book about the building of the arch, and it showed a guy cleaning on the top...NO ROPES...dear me.  It was also neat to learn that they build both sides intending to meet in the middle, and as the sides were 2 feet apart, they had to do some massive planning to get the last piece in...that was 8.5 feet wide! 
 
After the arch, we found a cool place near Busch stadium to eat lunch, and let Ruby sleep for awhile.  Next up was the City Museum.  I have had a couple of people tell me about this place, but neither I nor the kids were prepared for one of the coolest museums ever...

 



















No comments: