Sunday, July 1, 2018

Camp Sequoyah - Day 1

And it begins...Davis' first year at Boy Scout Summer Camp!  So I decided to go along for the ride this week.  Camp week is great for the boys...as for me, I like it, but it is definitely not vacation for an old dude like me.  Love being there with my boys, and love the experiences...but Alabama is muggy hot in July, and this was HOT. 
 
I arrived with Sam, Davis and Riley and they let me bring my van down to the campsite.  So thankful for this because we had a lot of stuff and it saved us probably a mile there and back to the car.  Did I mention the muggy hot weather...yeah, as soon as we got our stuff into tents, it started to rain, then pour. 
 
I have been to this camp before with sam 2 years before, and remember those kids that we were always getting onto because you are supposed to wear close toe shoes everywhere.  I now realize that Davis is one of those guys.  Flip Flops everywhere...just like his momma.  Davis was loving every minute of this camp from start to finish...(except for some "boring" eagle bound school sessions)...but that guy was all smiles.  He immediately grabbed his fishing pole after loading his tent and went off fishing. 
 
The opening campfire ceremony was a little weird as only scouts can be...at one point there was a fight between a sloth and a hot dog.  I really don't get much of the humor, but oh well, kids liked it.  And get this...I had to text Magan...both of my boys were actually doing the Macarena.  What...I can see Dave doing this, but Sam...
 
Sam did a great job as he had the lead on the welcoming bamboo entrance.  He grabbed two new crossover scouts, Matthew and Isaac, and they put together an entrance that won 3rd place on the final day...this was the first time Troop 354 had ever won for the entrance.  Sam is a master at lashing and put most of the poles together himself.  They were working on it late into the night.  
 







No comments: