Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Camp Sequoyah - Day 4

I may not have mentioned this in previous camp blogs, but most of the stories have been with me and Davis, and that is because my leader role during the camp was to watch over our new crossover scouts.  Sam was always around, but he loaded himself up with like 8 merit badges.  Where Davis loves the water and anything not in a classroom setting...Sam eats the classroom up, and mostly like on this day, just comes and talks with me while many of the other boys were on the waterslide.  I don't think Sam did any water activities on this day where the troop again had water activities.   Davis hit the water slides, then due to thunder, free swim was cut short, but then opened back up so he could go kayaking...by himself.  He immediately took his kayak as far as he could.  I can already see his merit badge requests for next year...Lifeguard, Canoe, Kayak, Sailing.  Haha...
 
This Wednesday evening was family night, so all the families where there.  It is about 1.5 hours from our house, so I told Magan not to come, not realizing the special honor that was to come later that night.  Riley was a little homesick on this evening, and I let him call his mom.  In a super moment of terror I was talking to some of the other parents when I realized I had misplaced my cellphone.  Luckily they all watched me hand it to Riley so that I could relax.  Ha...my main worry is loss of pictures. 
 
That evening they had the Order of the Arrow fire ceremony where each troop selects 4 scouts (or as many that get a majority vote from the troop) to be inducted into the Order.  This is a branch of the Boy Scouts that focus on Native American heritage and is basically the Honor Society for Boy Scouting, with requirements for induction based on attitude and living the Scout Law.  This was Sam's first year on the ballot as you have to be a first class to even be nominated, you have to have so many nights camping, and so many service hours...Sam was the only one of his crossover group to be on the list...and he was voted in!  I was as surprised as he was I think when they announced his name.  He had to go forward and stare into the eyes of two indian garbed guys he later described as "just weird".  Sam has really reached out and got some of the younger scouts in Davis' group involved with lashing, knots, and other scouting activities, and I think those young guys were the deciding factor in getting him voted in.  I told him he needs to realize that and keep working with those guys. 
 
Anyway, huge honor for Sam (one of the youngest ever in our troop), and now he goes to a campout in August for ONLY Order of the Arrow.   Sam is very excited about this, and I am for him.  Maybe then he can tell us more about what it really is.  :) 
 













No comments: