Friday, May 29, 2020

Seven Bridges

So we had to take Sam's bike out for an adventure to get it wore in...and we have been wanting to get some mountain biking in at Oak Mountain.  Oak Mountain has some great and well maintained trails.  We picked up some lunch prior to arriving for our picnic.  Then packed everything in the backpack with 6 bottles of water.  I let Sam lead the whole journey because I am realizing quickly that I am old and can not do nearly what I think I can do.  We hit three smaller sections of the 30 miles of bike trails...starting with "Seven Bridges", then "Garrett's Gulch", and then stumbling thru the "Rock Garden".  Sam learned that after each major uphill ride, he needed to pull over and let me catch my breath.  Neither of us fell, but both of us had to get off and walk it at a couple of places.  We passed one "slimmy" (narrow 12" wide bridge that takes some balance to ride across) that you had to jump onto, but we did hit several jumps that we probably should not have.  

At the BMX bike track area, we stopped for lunch and ate the sandwiches we picked up from publix on the way in.  The break was much needed and we talked about our friend Ralph Byers that we had seen biking twice while we were there hiking with the scouts.  Well, our break was over, so to get back to the car we had to ride the 3.8 miles back thru the same trails.  And on the way back...we both nailed the "slimmy".  And fortunately Sam persuaded me to park and the lot nearest the trailhead as I was going to make our trip much longer.  And we finished our Dad and Sam day with a Route 44 slushie from Sonic.  





No comments: