Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Honduras Day 7 - Borro School and Sponsored Kid Night

Was this really our last day?   It goes by pretty fast, but based on my voice and body aches, I think it was about time to start finishing up.   Belle was back down with all those little ones at the day care, she was always the first in the room with them, and she would stay and sit with them while they ate breakfast.   This is also where she shared that they would tell her how pretty her hair was or reach up to hug her, and later find queso in both hair and face.   

We went to the Borro school, which is probably my second favorite.   They did some fun cultural shows to help us see their history from the indigenous leader Lempira.   The principal Ana lead the kids through the national anthem of Honduras, then asked our team to sing our national anthem.   It was a fun day, and even with a little rain, the skit went well and our songs went well.   I did not get to see Lillian and Jeffrey (which was a little sad), but I did get to see their cousins, so it was fun to play with them.   And at this school, I had just as many mommas laughing about the Monstruo in the backpack as the kids.   It was also nice to meet one of Lillians aunts I had not met.   

Bobby told me that at this school there were some older ones in the back not really engaged, and making a little fun of our group, but he said that it was cool to watch them all slowly move forward to watch the skit, and cheer along with everyone when the lepers were healed, then again when Lazarus was brought back to life.   It was good to have him taking some pictures for us, and watching for stories like this.   

The principal Ana is coming to the US in August, so she was very excited and is always trying to practice her English.   And one of Lillians aunts told me that she still has the pictures we printed for them at her house.   But once the rain started coming down a little harder...even with everyone with plenty of cover...those people were ready to go, even right during the rain.   They could have waited a few minutes and walked home dry, but they took off when that rain came.   

After Borro, we went back to the daycare to rest and get prepared for the Sponsored kids night.   It is a fun night, but every year, our numbers seem to grow making it a little bit of chaos.   This year, I think we had 18 kids, but they all bring their families also.   The Avila family from Coyol was there with 7 of their kids, I had to go grab Myra from the kitchen for the family picture.   I finally got to see Lillian and Jeffrey.   And finally our cutie Eloisa arrived with mom, brother, and little cutie sister.   Then comes a crazy period of getting the kids to tables for activities, getting families back to the back for photos, and then serving dinner to all.   

The activity tables went so good, and I was super proud of our young people.   Davis and Andrew were helping the kids with some Origami.   Savannah, Belle, Linley, and Sarah Beth had about three activities going all at once.   The Pipe cleaner bracelets are always a hit, and I brought some materials over to the Vasquez children who were very shy to go over and join the table...but by the end of the night, they were all over there.   I remember at one point, me talking to anabelle in spanish thinking that I was speaking english...so I may have been a little overwhelmed. 

One little girl that was invited was a needy little thing, and asked for pens, and asked for other things, and almost killed Briggeth when she was swinging on the set in the back room.   Just being a kid, but she was pushy.   And I am trying to help and trying to make the kids happy, but I finally said, "Look, the pens are somewhere on that table over there, go find them yourself please".    Haha, my little friend Emilio overheard my spanish and saw my frustration, and just laughed.   Then that same girl was asking about stickers she wanted to take home, and she wanted some other things to take home...and I just looked at her and said "Lo Siento, No entiendo" (Sorry, I don't understand you), and turned away.    Haha, my little friend Emilio happened to walk by again, and just cracked up at this encounter as well, as he knew I understood her, but I just had to play the english only gringo card on this little girl.   Emelio was awesome, I had him lead a table to build some 3D puzzles for the kids.   He would build them for the smaller ones, but teach the older ones how to do it.   I made sure he got one of our backpacks.   But looking below, I can't believe I did not get a picture of him!

And the ending was even more chaotic as our Sisters at Chelsea had packed 30 backpacks for kids, and we had 18 sponsored kids that all needed one, then a few extras...but way more kids than extras.   So my plan was to deliver these bags one at a time, but then we called a very bad audible, and had the sponsored kids come over to a door for a backpack...well, that was bad because they all lined up, and we had to get one of the CRF ladies to explain it was only for sponsored kids.   Horrible to see some of those faces, but we were able to  slowly get the extras later in the evening out to brothers and sisters that I knew really would appreciate it.   But ugh...it was hard.   But I thought we did great, until I saw little Helen...my sweet little Avila girl that was my "amiga de camina" (little girl of my walk)...and she looked up at me with big sweet sad eyes.   Belle was with me, and saw the same.   I looked up at her dad and asked "She didn't get one?"   He just smiled and shook his head.   Life happens, and this family was fine, but little Helen did not smile, but nor did she cry.   But I couldn't stand it...I told Anabelle to go find whatever she could upstairs, and I did the same.   And we came back down with a punch balloon, and a pack of playing cards, some cute pink cat socks, and what I told her was the special gift...a box of memory cards with bible characters.   Those sweet eyes were smiling before her mouth could catch up, and we got a big big hug.   

And finally the night was over.   We waited for Maximo and Bobby to return from taking the families back home, but it gave me some time to connect with Daisi a bit more.   She told me about talking Dana Barrientos crying when read card from sponsor.   She said the kids are just happy to know someone cared, and Dana's father recently passed.    I think Dana's sponsor is Marilyn Gibson.   Daisi also recently lost her mother, and just going through some similar struggles as us with kids getting older and moving out.   Maximo returned, and handed out a few gifts, we chatted for awhile and after many many hugs, we finally got upstairs to start packing for our bus ride that would leave at 6AM the next morning.  I texted Magan that there just is no time for facetime...it is just a mad dash from start to finish.   I did get a message that night from Eloisa's mom showing me some pictures of her opening her presents from us.   It is a busy day, but I hope those kids left with some smiles and joy to last for awhile.   




















































No comments: