We had Monday to enjoy as a family before I had to start the conference on Tuesday morning, so with alot of rain in the forecast, we planned to visit the Tybee Island Lighthouse in the morning, then make our way to the beach at noon. The boys will probably remember a handful of beach trips in their entire life, and now with the girls, this is the 4th trip to the beach in 12 months. Not my favorite place to be, but the girls and Davis seem to love it.
We climbed all 178 steps to the top of the lighthouse as our first activity of the day, and that was good, because that place was already starting to heat up. We really had the top all to ourselves, and while it always turns my legs to jelly being up that high, it was a cool lookout. Magan and I had visited this lighthouse on our 2nd anniversary trip to Savannah in 2003. Going up was just a pain in your legs and test of your lungs. The spinning sensation going down was probably why they had puke bags at each major landing. And while we did not need them, at the bottom, I probably did need some advil for the head spinning.
The lighthouse also has a really cool museum in the buildings that have been preserved around the area. It still has the house where the family maintaining the lighthouse would live. Me and the kids had fun taking some silly pictures with the stuff from the olden days. And before we left, we had a nice lady take our picture as a family with the lighthouse behind us. And bless her, I don't understand how some people don't understand how to capture a photo. So Davis helped us get a timer set up for the first picture below that actually got the lighthouse in it.
We made it to the beach a little before noon, and took awhile to get dressed and get all of the gear onto the wagon to drag out to the beach. Ruby decided she did not want to use the restroom that had a large hole in the door. I kept looking at the clouds dreading having to spend a full day at the beach. And it looked promising for some rain soon, so I was hoping this day could be a little shorter on the beach. Magan walked off from the van without her water, so asked if I would go back to get it. And I got the wrong one of course.
Then we finally made it to the ocean, almost, Magan forgot her pool noodle, so I had to go back and get it. The Beach is a lovely place, and I am sure that I could like it, but it just is hot. And you get burned. And you basically sit and sweat all day. Oh well, I think I have made my point that I did not like the beach, but I did enjoy being with the kids out in the water. Everyone had a good laugh at my whiteness blinding everyone at the beach. In the ocean, we saw dolphins swimming about 100 yards from us. Then we had schools of jumping fish around us, which was pretty cool. And there was no waves for most of the day, which was kinda nice, but you miss out on the fun wave punching.
Magan enjoyed her day in the sun underneath towels so that no part of her actually ever saw the sun. Davis just started randomly digging. And the girls hung out in the ocean for most of the time. The new tent Magan bought was very nice to stay out of the sun. But I must admit that I got a little stir crazy and some of the inner dislike of the beach finally bubbled out, and I think at a good time, we decided to finally pack up from the beach to go get a late lunch at Fannies. It was also good to leave a little early because we got to go over to the pier and get some ice cream.
After leaving the beach, we visited the Bonaventure cemetery to see some of the old graves from the 1700s. Belle called the mausoleums the "dead people boxes", which seems fitting. But we finally made it back to our hotel for the night. Ordering a Mellow Mushroom pizza for a late dinner. We all played a game of Cataan, which was fun, but that game lasts a lot longer that we were all expecting. Magan and Belle were the winners. Davis bought a new traveling turtle at the lighthouse, that ended up being in a few pictures. Ruby was a little deliriously silly on this day with random comments about billboards with a random reference to Mr. Rogers that made us all laugh because we had no idea what she was talking about. It was a really fun day. Magan understands my love/hate relationship with the beach, so she helped me through my anxiety. :)




























No comments:
Post a Comment