Wednesday, July 15, 2026

Savannah Day 4 - A Shopping Day

This morning began way too early, as me and Davis woke up at 3AM so that we could get him to the airport for his flight to Guatemala.   Since we had a little time that morning, I drove him across the large bridge over the Savannah River to get our heart racing early in the morning, then we turned around and came right back over.   And we were one of the first ones to the United desk at the fancy Savannah airport.   It was a little strange watching him leave toward TSA, but it seems to be the trend this year dropping Davis off at the airport.   We captured a quick video of him telling the girls goodbye, then he turned and walked off.   I would not get to see him again until we arrived in Honduras on the following week.

Back to the hotel, I looked at the presentations that morning, and figured that I could sleep in a little bit before heading to the conference hotel.   Which was much needed, and I got to each breakfast with both Belle and Ruby before leaving.   I also finally got to meet Trevor's family.   And of course showing the kids some magic tricks, his little 6 year old girl Jayla asked if I could come to her birthday party on 8/6 to share some tricks with the other kids.   Haha, it was sweet.   My day included a presentation on Lifecycle Management for Cyber Security Detection and Monitoring Equipment, sound exciting?   It went fine, but I was glad my friend Shonique could carry most of the heavy lifting on that presentation.  Hey, and one of the vendors had real live owls at their booth, which was really cool, and I wish the kids could have seen.   

As for Magan and the girls, they had grand plans to make it to a special coffee shop, but had to make the difficult decision to walk or drive.   Well after talking with the lady at the hotel desk, she recommended they walk, then at the welcome center museum (They saw the Forest Gump bench, see below), that young girl also recommended they walk...but Magan and heat do not mix well, and Belle said that she was mad mad the hole time talking about how they should have just driven.   But they got to the coffee place, and all agreed it was really good, then Mom spilled it against the wall.   But at least it all did not spill.   Anyway, that left the long walk back to the hotel, where they walked into the same desk lady that saw Magan's tomato red face and wet clothes, and said "Wow, you guys look..." and in this pause angry Magan said "SWEATY".   Mom said that this is where sometimes you just want to punch someone (hit Weezer).   

After probably a shower and fresh set of clothes, the girls headed out to go shopping at the nearby outlet mall.   When they got to the front desk and the valet was not there, the desk lady (yeah, same one) jumped up and said "I will get your car for you ma'am".   It was at a mexican restuarant on this day where Magan got the random piece of rice sticking to her before the meal had even come.   The girls all loved the shopping day, things that never happen with dad around.   And they had the constant fear of planes landing on them as apparently this shopping mall was across the road from the airport.   I am sure Ruby can defend herself later, but I was told she is a very moody shopper, and only happen when she finally finds what she wanted.   Then she is ready to go.   

That evening we went to a Cuban Restuarant (Rancho Alegre) and tried a bunch of different things.   We had the cuban sampler (Chicharritas, croquetas, empanada and papa rellena...all were good, but the sauce in the middle was Magan's favorite).   Then I think we all just shared a couple of Cuban sandwiches and some soup (Not as bad as Dothan, but the girls were already almost screaming "Stop Feeding Us"), and finally a wonderful dessert (Dulce De Leche Empanadas).   Finally back at the hotel, and the girls (mainly Ruby) wanted to go swimming for a bit, so I sat out there with them for a quick swim before bed.   

























No comments: